Benefits to Patients
What exactly is Bio-Identical Hormone Therapy (BHRT) with pellets?
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy with pellets is exactly what it sounds like. It is using hormones that are identical to the hormones naturally made by the human body. Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) has transformed the healthcare of men and women as they enter the second half of their lives. It provides an alternative to hormones that are synthetic, like injectable testosterone, or concentrated from horse urine (Premarin). Patients taking pellet BHRT are given in dosages tailored to their individual needs; instead of the narrow choices available with mass-produced hormone therapies (one size fits all).
The interest in a more natural approach to hormone therapy has focused attention on bio-identical hormones — hormones that are identical in molecular structure to the hormones men and women make in their bodies. They are not found in this form in nature but are derived and made from plant compounds extracted from yams and soy. Bio-identical hormone therapy is often called “natural hormone therapy” because bio-identical hormones act just like the hormones produced by your body.
What are Bio-identical Hormone Pellets?
Testosterone and/or Estradiol are presses or fused into small pellets that are inserted under the skin, usually on the upper buttocks. The pellets provide constant low doses of the exact hormones the human body makes and uses. Pellet therapy has been proven to be the most effective hormone delivery system in terms of absorption and availability. This method provides more consistent hormone levels over a longer period of time. Hormones (testosterone and estrogen) delivered by subcutaneous implants:
- Miss the first pass through the liver
- Do not affect clotting factors
- Do not increase the risk of thromboembolism
- Do not increase the risk of breast cancer
- Bio-identical testosterone pellets are cardio-protective, unlike oral, synthetic testosterone
- Testosterone does not negate the beneficial effects of estradiol on cardiac and lipid profiles
Notelovitz 87, Seed 00, Sands 97, Worboys 00, Canonico 07
Why Offer Pellet Therapy?
- EVERYDAY 3500 WOMEN ENTER MENOPAUSE
- NATURAL MENOPAUSE HAPPENS BETWEEN AGE 45 AND 54
- SYMPTOMS OF MENOPAUSE CAN BEGIN 15 YRS EARLIER (TESTOSTERONE)
- MALE HYPOGONADISM (ANDROPAUSE) IS PRESENT IN 20% OF MALES > AGE 50
- Men age 30-70 will lose 1-3% of total testosterone production per annum
- Women age 20-40 lose 50% of their testosterone production
Bain J, Maturitas 2010; (66):16-22
Kaufmann JM, J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001;26:833-78
Davison SL, Bell R, Donath S, Montalto JG, Davis SR. Androgen levels in adult females. Jour of Cl Endocrin & Met 2005;90(7):3847
Kaufmann JM, Vermeulen A. The Decline of Androgen levels in elderly men. Endo Rev 2005;26:833-76
What are the Benefits of BHRT with pellets?
- Calmer, more stable mood
- Reduced body fat
- Increased energy levels
- Higher sex drive
- Stronger mental clarity
- Improved muscle tone and mass